28.11.15

What My 8 Month Old Ate Today!

Alright, so he'll be 8 months old in 2 days... Close enough! 
You know what that means! An 8 month update! So be sure to keep and eye out for that because I feel like there's going to be some really cute photos up!

Today I thought I would do something different & document what I feed my son in a day, besides breast milk! He still nurses a bunch of times a day. At the minimum, he nurses after every nap, which is usually 3 naps a day & then maybe 4 times a night. He's also been nursing quite a bit more lately in between naps. He usually doesn't nurse for very long, I think it's just for a quick comfort... Sometimes it's not even long enough for my let down to happen, but he INSISTS on it anyway haha! Fine by me!

So in the morning he semi-wakes up and breastfeeds before he is actually ready to wake up for the day. Then about 30 minutes later I get his breakfast ready. He always gets oatmeal cereal + 2 cubes of fruit puree. I'm not one of those moms who's all serious about organic, all natural, all homemade, yadda yadda food (sue me). I do prefer oatmeal cereal as opposed to rice cereal & if I had the patience to pump, I would use the organic oatmeal that's in the cupboard.. but I don't.. So here it is.. "Just add water" oatmeal cereal.. In all it's glory. 
Let me tell you... This apple & cinnamon stuff is actually so good. I use 2 tablespoons of the cereal plus I added 2 apple purees to it, then I add enough water until I get a good consistency. He always eats the whole thing.

For lunch: 1 piece of whole wheat bread with coconut butter drizzled on top. I also gave him 2 cubes of avocado/kiwi puree & 1 pear puree.
 I spoon fed him this puree & he ate the whole thing. 
He eats his toast on his own though. He looooves toast. Especially with peanut butter. I actually do use organic, natural peanut butter though when I give it to him, haha! This was his first time trying coconut butter & I don't think he was the biiiiiiggest fan... We'll have to try it again and see if he'll give it another shot. 

And lastly, for dinner: 3 cubes of purple carrot/cauliflower puree. He only ate maybe 1/3 of this. 
Then he had roasted butternut squash & some ham!
He much prefers to have his food cut in small pieces as opposed to strips [other then toast]. He had his pincer grasp down at like, 5 months, so he never really grabbed big smushy handfuls of anything. Can you tell he prefers the butternut squash over the ham? Haha it's definitely a favourite in this house! This is when I really love baby led. He munches on dinner while we munch on dinner. It's so convenient!

Like I said, this is just one day. We have all sort of snacks and meals. He also eats out of squeeze pouches on his own as well as popsicles I make for him. I'm not making any more purees since my freezer still has a ton. I went kind of puree crazy after I got my new steamer and immersion blender. Ahh exciting. But anyway, yes, working through what we have left and then he'll just eat all food cut in small pieces or as a whole, depending on what it is. 
He also gets a sippy cup of water at dinner. We use the Nuby No Spill Flip n Sip Cup & love it! We had purchased a standard sippy cup first... you know, the ones with the big plastic mouth part with the 4 or so holes in the spout and you have to tilt it upside down to drink from it. Yah well, Hunter just wanted to chew on the end and couldn't get the whole 'tip it upside down' thing. When we got the Nuby, he figured it out right away and loves it. It's so cute to watch him eat. He'll just be munching away on dinner, stop, take a couple sips of water, then put his cup down and continue eating. I don't know why I find that so friggin adorable, must be a mom thing.. Ahhh my little human <3

Hope you enjoyed this post! I thought to myself "I would love to know what mom's feed their children in a day!" So I thought I would make my own post! 
Thanks for reading, see you soon with an 8 month update!