So here's a list of things I've leaned while being a first time mom so far! I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch [baby brain is real], but I'm sure in a few more weeks or a couple months, I'll have another updated version... because this is a never ending learning experience my friends!
1. You may need to re-heat your coffee 5 times before you actually get to drink it.
2. You should eat whenever you can... If you think "oh I just ate"... Eat again anyway.
3. Having said that, you'll feel like all you do is eat and breastfeed. Putting food in your mouth, & putting your boob in your baby's mouth is pretty frikkin important though.
4. Some babies are great nighttime sleepers... But that could mean they are terrible nappers during the day... Leaving you feeling like a night owl & doing chores at night time... Or making nachos and cheese at 4am because you couldn't find time to shred cheese during the day.
5. When your baby is uncontrollably crying & nothing is soothing him & you're about to pull your eardrums out with a fork.. Try the "cry it out" method for a couple minutes.. As hard and sad as it is... It usually works.
6. If you're breastfeeding, have an assortment of drinks.. juice, Gatorade, flavored water, etc. Breastfeeding is thirsty business & let's face it....plain water gets boring after awhile.
7. There will be things you thought you'd never do, such as bed sharing. If it works for you, do it. You have a child forever but he's only a baby for a short time, so you won't get to do it for long. If it keeps you and baby happy, I consider that a win. We need as many wins as possible right now, am I right?
8. You're going to do nothing but stare at this beautiful thing you made.
9. You might get a window of opportunity to do one or two chores. I suggest you do something for yourself first (shower, use the bathroom perhaps... Put on make up or do your hair-if you're into that kinda thing).
10. Getting peed, puked, and pooped on becomes normal.
11. Be ready to fall more in love with your boyfriend/husband. Watching him be a father tugs on the heart strings.
12. They say to stock up on diapers, [and you should! Lots of them! In a variety of sizes!], but DO NOT forget to stock up on wipes. I'm serious. Buy them whenever they're on sale while you're pregnant. You won't regret it.
13. They're going to grow. They do it fast. Try not to cry when you're packing up his newborn sized clothing after 4 weeks.
14. You'll have days where you just want and need to cry. Do it. Then once your baby falls asleep, take a nap with him.
15. You might feel like you're doing it all wrong, and you're failing at this parenthood thing... If you're doing your best, and your baby is happy and healthy... You're doing amazing. Good job!
16. It takes time to learn each other. If you're having a hard time with a sleep schedule, don't worry. Together, you'll both figure out something that works.
17. Never underestimate the power of a good swaddle.
18. Stock up on nursing pads and maxi pads. You may get your period sooner then you think and tampons are a no no right now!
19. It'll melt your heart when your baby starts smiling and making cute little baby sounds. You'll do the same thing over and over again to make them smile!
20. You are someones mother. I don't think it's fully sunk in yet that I am a mom now. It's still so surreal!